It’s hard to believe it’s been more than a year since many of us abandoned our classrooms and began sheltering at home, and for a privileged few in the United States, the world is finally beginning to open up. As Season 2 of Sound Expertise comes to an end, we want to acknowledge the challenges of this past year with a special episode.
If you consider yourself a music scholar––broadly defined (and including students!)––we would like to hear from you, about your experiences during the pandemic. If you’d like to participate, we have set up a Google Voice number where you can leave a voicemail.
Feel free to talk about how you have been affected by the pandemic: these could be stories about your scholarship, or your teaching, or your personal life. It can be a brief message or a long one. You can tell a story, or share an anecdote, or simply ramble for a bit. We will select as many of these messages as we can and edit them together for the episode.
If you’d like to participate, please call (802) 962-0910: you should hear a short message from me (Will) followed by a beep, and then you can record your thoughts.
A few more specific notes for those wishing to participate:
- If you can use an external microphone or even a landline for recording your call, that will help the audio quality be better.
- Feel free to identify yourself as specifically or non-specifically as you wish: you can give your full name/title (“I’m Will Robin, and I’m a musicologist at the University of Maryland”), or something partial (“I’m Will, and I’m a musicologist in Maryland”), or non-specific (“I’m a music theorist, and my experience…”).
- If you have any questions, or decide after recording that you don’t want your message to be aired, please don’t hesitate to email me at williamlrobin @ gmail.com
- If you’re overseas or otherwise unable to call the number, you can record an audio message on your phone/computer and email it to me at williamlrobin @ gmail.com
- We hope to use as many of these messages as possible, but please note that we may only play selections from your message, or we may not be able to use it at all.
- Please record these by June 15 at the latest!